The penultimate day

The last full day of our holiday. It was a relaxing one: a lie in (until 9am), a leisurely morning, then caught a bus to Union Square – downtown San Francisco and the main shopping area. We were suddenly startled by an extremely loud air-raid style siren! Was it an earthquake warning? Fortunately an announcement followed saying it was just a test! Apparently they sound the sirens at 12noon every Tuesday. They serve as a reminder to the locals that they should have provisions stored to provide for themselves for at least 72 hours, in case of earthquake or terrorist attack. 

Mooched about, went to China Town, then visited the Cheesecake Factory at Macy’s, as recommended by Abbi. The place was packed, it was a long wait for a table, so we got a portion each to take out. Sat in Union Square, people watching, soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying our cheesecake.  







 We decided to have a ride on one of the famous trams. The queue at the terminal was really long, so we waited just 2 stops further along the route. The tram was quite full when it arrived but we squeezed on. It was brilliant and we stayed on all the way to the bay. I’m quite relieved that we were inside and not hanging on outside! 



  I now know where the expression “stand on the brakes” comes from – watching the driver standing on the brake pedal, his whole weight on it, pulling back on a lever with all his strength as we went down the steep SF hills!  

This evening has been spent packing and finishing off the food and wine, before heading home late tomorrow afternoon. 

The pictures from our half marathon are on the website – found these of us: 


It’s been a fabulous holiday. We’ve done so much, seen so much. Driven nearly 900 miles in the RV exploring the Canyons, then another 2000 miles in the car from Las Vegas to San Francisco. Over 1500 photos to sort out (and a new camera to buy after it got dropped yesterday!) and 90 minutes of video. Highlights? Probably seeing the bears and rattlesnakes, but every bit has been special in it’s own way. It’s been a holiday full of wows! 

And now for the Matthews family tradition – spend the long 10 hour flight home discussing where to go next!